Answered By: Rebecca Oling Last Updated: Sep 17, 2019 Views: 213
To make the "Find It @ Purchase" button appear in Google Scholar, you must set up your library links to display the "Find It @ Purchase" link when off-campus. On-campus users are recognized by their IP and no configuration is needed. Similarly, if you access Google Scholar from the Library's Databases by Title list, you do not need to configure anything--you will be prompted to log in with your Purchase College username and password, as you would any database you are accessing from off-campus.
We recommend always accessing Google Scholar from the Databases by Title list. However, if you would like to configure the "Find It" button in Google Scholar for use off-campus WITHOUT going through our Database by Title list, you may follow these steps:
1. Go to Google Scholar
2. Click on three bars icon (options menu) in the top, upper left corner
3. Select "Settings" (gear icon) at the bottom of the menu
4. Choose "Library Links" from the Settings menu
5. Type "Purchase College, SUNY" into the "Library access links" box. Click search button.
6. A checkbox should appear below the search bar that says "Purchase College, SUNY - Find It @ Purchase."
6. Check this box and click "save."
You can set up to five libraries in this manner. Once set up, the "Find It @ Purchase" link should appear in Google Scholar each time you run a search from off-campus. When you click the "Find It @ Purchase" link, you will see a list of databases that provide access to the full text of the item through Purchase College Library. You will be prompted to authenticate your database access by logging in with your Purchase College username and password. Then you will be taken to the article or journal, just as if you were on-campus.
For more on locating the full text of articles you find via Google Scholar, see our FAQ on using Find It @ Purchase and our FAQ on Citation Lookup, a tool that helps you find the full text of a article using its citation.