Answered By: Darcy Gervasio Last Updated: May 08, 2017 Views: 174
If you have a citation for an article and need the full text, use the Citation Lookup tool. This tool searches through all the library's databases to see if we have the full text of your article, using its citation information. (Note this tool does not work for books, only articles).
You don't have to fill out every field in Citation Lookup, but try to fill out the most important ones: journal title, publication date (year is sufficient), volume, issue, and article title. Adding a starting page or the author is helpful but not required.
The most crucial field is the journal title-- without this, the Citation Lookup tool cannot work.
Can't find the article through Citation Lookup? See our FAQ on finding specific journals or try these tips:
- You may have entered too much information into Citation Lookup. Delete all except the most crucial fields: journal title and year of publication and try again.
- If that doesn't work, try the eJournals search from the library homepage.
- Enter the name of the journal, magazine, or newspaper, where your article appeared (NOT the name of the article)
- If the journal from your citation appears in the results, click on a links for a database that covers the year(s) you need.
- From this database, you can use options to "search within the publication" to look up your article by its title
- Or you can browse through a list of issues by date until you find your article. (This is where having the year, volume, issue, and page number from your citation comes in handy!)
- If your journal does not appear in the eJournals search, the Library may not have access to it electronically.
As always, if you have trouble finding the full text of an article, please ask a librarian for help.
You can also use this form to submit a chat question. Try that if you're waiting too long.
This service is staffed by librarians from New York State, as well as other parts of the country. You will not necessarily be chatting with a librarian from Purchase College.