Answered By: Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center (TLTC) Last Updated: May 11, 2022 Views: 300
As a faculty member, you are encouraged to link directly to the Library's subscription databases and online journals, just as you would link to any website or resource on the Internet, from within your Moodle course pages. This is a best practice for a number of reasons.
- Accessibility. Many databases offer text-to-speech options and provide stable, searchable, and accessible PDFs
- Ensures compliance with copyright
- Builds research skills by familiarizing students with various databases and interfaces
- Allows students to take advantage of value-added features such as citation generator, exporting to citation managers, and availability of various file formats.
In order to make resources from the Library's subscription databases and online journals available to students who may be accessing Moodle from off-campus (remote user access), you must include the EZProxy prefix code in the item's URL.
The updated EZProxy prefix code is: http://ezproxy.purchase.edu/login?url=
This bit of code must be placed before the rest of the article's URL in order to make it available from off-campus. This can be done by following a few simple steps:
- locate the desired article in our online databases / journals
- look for the document's persistent or durable URL, within the context of the item, not in the browser address bar
- When using ProQuest, for example, click on "Copy Link" to copy the article's durable URL and then add the EZProxy prefix code before the rest of the URL
- Copy and paste the EZProxy code into the URL field when adding a new resource "link to a file or website" in Moodle
- Copy and past the article's URL so that it appears after the EZProxy code
(Exception: Unlike other library databases, permalinks from the Library Discovery Search do not require the EZProxy prefix. These permalinks will work from off-campus.)
To Display a link on the front page of your Moodle course:
- Make sure that editing is turned on, click the 'Turn editing on' button on the upper right side
- In the section where you want the file to show up, click on the Resources pull-down menu and select the ‘URL’ option
- Enter into the Name field the text you want to use to describe the link on the front page of your course
- You must enter a description of the link in the Description area
- Under the "Content" heading, paste in the item's External URL. Remember to include the EZProxy prefix code if the item is from the Library's subscription resources
- Click the ‘Save and return to course’ button
Remote users will be prompted for Database User Authentication and will login using their username (firstname.lastname - do not include @purchase.edu) and Purchase email password.