Answered By: Carrie Marten
Last Updated: Jun 26, 2018     Views: 93

If you can't find something on the shelf (book, score, DVD, CDs, etc.) and the catalog says that it is available, you should:

  • Let a library staff member know! Visit the Reference Desk or Circulation Desk or use our Ask a Librarian services to call, text, or chat with a librarian.
  • Fill out a Missing Item form online.

We will search for the item and notify you if we find it or re-order it for the collection. If we find the item, we can contact you and let you know, as long as you leave your contact information.

You can request "missing items" through Interlibrary Loan. In the Notes field in ILLiad, indicate that the item you are requesting is "not on the shelf."

Related Topics

Contact Us



You can also use this form to submit a chat question. Try that if you're waiting too long.

This service is staffed by librarians from New York State, as well as other parts of the country. You will not necessarily be chatting with a librarian from Purchase College.