Answered By: Darcy Gervasio Last Updated: May 04, 2017 Views: 2914
Sometimes a professor will upload a file to Moodle in "protected mode" or "protected view." This makes it harder for unauthorized persons to edit and alter the document. Because editing is disabled, printing a "protected" Microsoft Word document requires an extra step.
To print a Microsoft Word document that is in "protected view," you must download the file from Moodle and save it on your desktop before you will be able to "enable editing" and print the file.
Instructions (for Microsoft Word on a PC. Word for Mac should behave similarly)
1. In Moodle, click on the title of the document you want to download. A dialog box appears.
2. Click "Save." (Do NOT choose "Open," or you will not be able to print the document.)
3. Choose to save the document to the desktop or a USB flash drive.
4. Wait until the document has finished downloading, then click "Open."
5. Click "Enable Editing" in the beige-colored bar at the top of the MS Word document.
6. You should now be able to select "Print" from the File Menu or Windows Menu and print as you would any other Word document.
You can also use this form to submit a chat question. Try that if you're waiting too long.
This service is staffed by librarians from New York State, as well as other parts of the country. You will not necessarily be chatting with a librarian from Purchase College.