Answered By: Rebecca Oling
Last Updated: May 04, 2017     Views: 67

Copyright law generally requires that you obtain permission from the copyright owner for public performances of films. However, the law includes an exemption for certain face-to-face teaching circumstances. For campus events outside of classes, the copyright law typically does not allow the showing of a film without obtaining permission. To obtain the appropriate permission and if the film is a "feature film," contact Swank Motion Pictures: to pay for public performance licensing. For other types of films, or for any not handled by Swank, contact the rights holder.  The library has public performance rights for some documentaries and educational films that we own.   To find out about the licensing for a film we own, contact the Reference Desk at (914) 251-6410 or

Related Topics

Contact Us



You can also use this form to submit a chat question. Try that if you're waiting too long.

This service is staffed by librarians from New York State, as well as other parts of the country. You will not necessarily be chatting with a librarian from Purchase College.