Can I send a text message to a librarian? How much does it cost?
Text Us! Purchase College Library has a text message reference service. You can send the Library questions via text message (SMS), and a librarian will text you back with an answer.
How do I use Text Us?
It’s easy. Just follow three simple steps:
- Text your question to (914) 873-1711*
- A librarian will respond as soon as possible!
- Save us in your contacts and text us when you’re on the go.
*Note: This number is for text only. To call the library, dial (914) 251-6401.
When can I text the library?
The text reference service will be available during the following hours:
Fall Semester Text Us Hours:
Friday: 9am - 4pm
Exceptions & Holiday Hours:
- Thurs. Nov. 27- Sat. Nov. 29: Text Us is Unavailable (Library Closed for Thanksgiving)
- Sun. Nov. 30: Text Us available 6pm - 11pm (Library opens at 6pm)
- Fri. Dec. 19: Text Us available 9am-10pm (Library closes at 10pm)
- Dec. 20th - Jan. 4th: Text Us is Unavailable (Library Closed for Winter Holidays)
Note: If the Library is closed for a holiday, weekend, event, or weather emergency, Text Us will not be available.
How much does it cost?
The Library doesn’t charge a fee for using Text Us; however, standard messaging and data charges from your cell phone service provider may apply, depending on your phone plan.
Who is answering my texts?
Text Us is staffed by reference librarians and circulation supervisors who work at Purchase College Library. Text Us is staffed by real librarians (we're not robots!). Unlike Ask Us 24/7 Chat, Text Us is not staffed by people at other libraries. So go ahead and text Purchase College Library... we're always happy to help!
How do keywords work?
Keywords are a great way to get fast info about the Library. Send a single Keyword or Key phrase in the body of your text, and you'll get an automated reply for frequently asked questions. (It's just like texting CooCoo for Metro North train times!) For example, you could text us keywords like...
"HOURS" to get a text showing the library's hours of operation
"WIFI" to learn how to log in to the wireless internet in the library
Look for posters with keywords around the library or see this list of all keywords.